- Cycling – [Series] Joe Kearney – August 21, 2021 – second visit to the Haute Route Alps
The longest and highest edition didn't put me off in 2017, so I'm back for the 10th anniversary of the Haute Route Alps.
- Das Jo(e) – Joanna Kearney – March 12, 2021 – laughing at the little things
- Das Jo(e) – Joanna Kearney – February 10, 2021 – one nappy change, five nappies
The dream feed nappy change challenge: keep baby asleep, while mum breastfeeds and dad simultaneously changes the nappy. Then place baby seamlessly and sleepily back in the cot. Easy?
- Das Jo(e) – Joe Kearney – February 9, 2021 – introducing Lyra Annabel
We did another baby! We have a second girl who sleeps well (so far...), and a big sister who makes sure there's always a teddy nearby.
- Software – Joe Kearney – February 12, 2019 – automatic checks with supervision
SoundCloud Premier Distribution allows creators to distribute their music from SoundCloud to other streaming platforms and stores. For many of our users, this will be their first experience with the strict requirements of the music industry supply chain on metadata and media. Here we’ll look at how a system of automatic and manual validations allows users to get fast feedback as they prepare a release.
- Das Jo(e) – Joe Kearney – January 3, 2018 – introducing Eleanor Margot
We did a baby! Giving birth looks really hard, and my wife is a hero. The first week of Ellie's life has been a whirlwind of hospital visits, poo, sleep deprivation, and becoming besotted with a new tiny human.
- Das Jo(e) – Joe Kearney – October 31, 2017 – time and babies
We're having a baby! We have no idea what will happen, and don't understand what will take up so much time!
- Haute Route – Joe Kearney – September 12, 2017 – stage racing is a whole new thing
An incredible and joyful (and exhausting) week in beautiful places. What an experience.
- Haute Route – Joe Kearney – July 4, 2017 – eight Golden hours of pain
On my third attempt at this beautiful but brutal course of 174km and 5500m of ascent I finished with a Brevet d'Or, the Gold Classification
- Software – Joe Kearney – June 20, 2017 – a better model for data ownership
We have a good solution for ownership of services in a microservices architecture. We can learn from this to define ownership of datasets in a way that reduces the total cost of maintenance and integration across teams.
- Haute Route – [Series] Joe Kearney – June 14, 2017 – seven days cycling up mountains
I'm riding the Haute Route Alps 2017, from Nice to Geneva through the mountains. This describes what it is and how much it's going to hurt.
- Software – Joe Kearney – December 30, 2016 – storing nested data in columns
Record shredding allows nested data structures to be considered in a sort-of-tabular way, and stored in a columnar data store. This post describes the intuition behind how this can be done preserving message structure, from Dremel and Parquet.
- Software – Joe Kearney – December 7, 2016 – so many things to go wrong
We like our code to be "robust". This post looks at different failure modes against which a system needs to be protected
- Software – Joe Kearney – October 15, 2016 – in praise of writing down design choices
Being explicit about costs and implications when making choices makes future decisions easier when things change. A collaborative document can be a great implementation of this.
- Just In Time – [Series] Joe Kearney – February 24, 2016 – introduction to JVM compilation
An introduction to compilation for the JVM, bytecode and JIT compilation, and benchmarking with JMH. It accompanies a talk I gave to the Berlin-Brandenburg Scala User Group.
- Software – [How To] Joe Kearney – December 3, 2015 – implement sequence on your own types
How to add Applicative and Traverse instances for your own types, use sequence, sequenceU and Unapply
- Software – Joe Kearney – April 12, 2015 – no-code intro
Deriving how non-blocking I/O must work, from first principles
- Software – Joe Kearney – April 20, 2014 – a brief introduction to generated tests
Step-by-step guide to using the Guava Testlib library for test case generation