I am attaching a very special family recipe on behalf of my dearly loved and much missed Grandma Elisabeth. I will be making it myself in just a few days’ time as it’s a key part of the Harvey and Carter Christmas traditions! It’s a lovely thought for us that it may become part of the Kearney-Heald Christmas as well :)
Grandma Widdows’ Christmas Stuffing
A recipe that always gets repeat requests! Loved by the whole family and part of our Christmas traditions – we hope it will help to make your Christmases just as merry.
The cranberries can be substituted/mixed in with any preferred dried fruit. Chestnuts also go particularly well. Makes a large batch that can be re-heated and used for additional meals after Christmas day or in turkey sandwiches!
- 1 lb of good pork sausages
- 1 packet of dried stuffing mix (thyme or sage and onion) – or homemade!
- 4 ozs cranberries
- ½ a grated apple
- 1 level teaspoon of plain flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warmed cider
- Squeeze the sausage meat out of the skins and add in all the ingredients together.
- Pour the warmed cider over the mixture to make a soft stuffing.
- Set to one side (overnight if possible) to allow the mixture to swell, adding cider at intervals.
- Bake in a moderate oven until the top is browned. Do not allow to dry out.