Joe Kearney – 77 posts
- February 2, 2018 – peripatetic, poetic and chic – [das-jo-e]
She had a day of being more like a stereotypical howler, wide mouthed and with tonsils wobbling, as she unleashed some top-tier screams. She's still under 4kg, but that must be mostly vocal cords – a Chorus Line singer in the making.
- January 8, 2018 – results are in – [das-jo-e]
My little brother won, the hive mind averaged out to an exceptionally good score, and I got to play with some inconsequential data while Eleanor had a nap. But first, poo.
- January 3, 2018 – introducing Eleanor Margot – [das-jo-e] [highlight]
We did a baby! Giving birth looks really hard, and my wife is a hero. The first week of Ellie's life has been a whirlwind of hospital visits, poo, sleep deprivation, and becoming besotted with a new tiny human.
- December 20, 2017 – preliminary results – [das-jo-e]
What better way to pass the time while waiting for a baby to be born than to engage in a spot of descriptive statistics on an unnecessarily complicated survey of predictions on the baby!
- December 1, 2017 – basic definitions – [software]
Google's 2015 paper on the Dataflow model describes general solutions to general data pipeline processing problems. The terms they use have been helpful to me in understanding patterns in these problems.
- October 31, 2017 – time and babies – [das-jo-e] [highlight]
We're having a baby! We have no idea what will happen, and don't understand what will take up so much time!
- September 12, 2017 – stage racing is a whole new thing – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-closing-thoughts-post] [highlight]
An incredible and joyful (and exhausting) week in beautiful places. What an experience.
- August 27, 2017 – Morzine to Geneva – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
One last push, a single time section of 100km to get through. I caught and passed plenty, and kept my top 100 GC placing – I finished the Haute Route Alps!
- August 26, 2017 – Megève to Morzine – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
Yesterday's ride really took its toll, but once the timing started today the legs woke up again, and felt fresh and strong for the last day of the High Alps.
- August 25, 2017 – Alpe d'Huez to Megève – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
The queen stage of the event, long and high, and on a really hot day. The first half went well; the second half I pushed too hard, paid for that on the last climb and in recovery that evening.
- August 24, 2017 – Alpe d'Huez ITT – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
The classic mountain time trial. I pushed a little harder than planned, maintained overall position, and spent the afternoon eating.
- August 23, 2017 – Serre Chevalier to Alpe d'Huez – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
The most beautiful col that I've climbed, another good day pacing, and a finish to take me into the top 100 overall!
- August 22, 2017 – Pra Loup to Col du Granon – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
A good day of following a pacing strategy, staying slower than felt necessary and ending up being faster than the competition
- August 21, 2017 – Nice to Pra Loup – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
Starting hard with the length of the Marmotte and two-thirds of the ascent, and climbing Ascros, Cayolle and Pra Loup. Plus: surprise video appearance!
- August 18, 2017 – the countdown is nearly over – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-pre-event]
Flying with a bike is always a slightly trying affair, all the more so when I'm trying to fill the bag to the brim with kit, food and a big, heavy lock!
- August 13, 2017 – final prep – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-pre-event]
Training done, bike cleaned, punctures repaired and the start is suddenly very close.
- August 4, 2017 – the full detail – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-pre-event]
The basic route was published months ago, but now we can see the detail, including how we're doing three ascents of Alpe d'Huez
- July 4, 2017 – eight Golden hours of pain – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-pre-event] [highlight]
On my third attempt at this beautiful but brutal course of 174km and 5500m of ascent I finished with a Brevet d'Or, the Gold Classification
- June 20, 2017 – a better model for data ownership – [software] [highlight]
We have a good solution for ownership of services in a microservices architecture. We can learn from this to define ownership of datasets in a way that reduces the total cost of maintenance and integration across teams.
- June 18, 2017 – 180km of town and country – [cycling] [haute-route-pre-event]
Fast bunch riding and avoiding crashes in the 180km edition of the 2017 Berlin Velothon
- [Series] June 14, 2017 – seven days cycling up mountains – [cycling] [haute-route] [highlight]
I'm riding the Haute Route Alps 2017, from Nice to Geneva through the mountains. This describes what it is and how much it's going to hurt.
- February 17, 2017 – limits of verifiability – [software]
A blockchain allows independent parties to make verifiable statements. This works with bitcoin, whose value comes from the system itself, but fails in applications where the value is external.
- January 6, 2017 – an old friend – [software]
Two-phase commit is a long-established means of keeping two resources strongly synchronised. These days it's not so sexy, but it's an important piece of heritage of distributed computing.
- December 30, 2016 – storing nested data in columns – [software] [highlight]
Record shredding allows nested data structures to be considered in a sort-of-tabular way, and stored in a columnar data store. This post describes the intuition behind how this can be done preserving message structure, from Dremel and Parquet.
- December 7, 2016 – so many things to go wrong – [software]
We like our code to be "robust". This post looks at different failure modes against which a system needs to be protected
- October 15, 2016 – in praise of writing down design choices – [software] [highlight]
Being explicit about costs and implications when making choices makes future decisions easier when things change. A collaborative document can be a great implementation of this.
- February 24, 2016 – benchmarking and compilation in perspective – [software] [just-in-time]
The compiler is sneaky, but there's order behind the magic of the JVM. This is all fascinating, but it's probably not the bottleneck in your application.
- February 24, 2016 – compilation at runtime – [software] [just-in-time]
How you can see the assembler code that the JIT compiler generates to be run on the actual CPU, explored by way of some examples of benchmarking.
- February 24, 2016 – compilation at compile-time – [software] [just-in-time]
What is bytecode and how does it work? What does Scala code look like when compiled to bytecode?
- February 24, 2016 – introduction to JVM compilation – [software] [just-in-time]
An introduction to what we mean by compilation and why it has multiple stages. A brief comparison between how Scala and Java compile similar structures for use in the JVM.
- [Series] February 24, 2016 – introduction to JVM compilation – [software] [just-in-time] [highlight]
An introduction to compilation for the JVM, bytecode and JIT compilation, and benchmarking with JMH. It accompanies a talk I gave to the Berlin-Brandenburg Scala User Group.
- December 14, 2015 – functional programming with state – [software]
Learning about what the State monad represents and how to use and understand it
- December 6, 2015 – writing blogs is admin, too – [das-jo-e]
Getting started in Germany, working out the language, the paperwork, and planning a wedding remotely.
- [How To] December 3, 2015 – implement sequence on your own types – [howto] [software] [highlight]
How to add Applicative and Traverse instances for your own types, use sequence, sequenceU and Unapply
- April 12, 2015 – no-code intro – [software] [highlight]
Deriving how non-blocking I/O must work, from first principles
- April 20, 2014 – a brief introduction to generated tests – [software] [highlight]
Step-by-step guide to using the Guava Testlib library for test case generation
- May 13, 2013 – my approach to interviewing – [interviews] [software]
A description of my interview approach while at GSA – what I was looking for what I expected from candidates
Joanna Kearney – 34 posts
- March 25, 2018 – 💩 – [das-jo-e]
The poop kept coming. And coming. And coming. The dam didn't hold. There was poo on the wall.
- January 29, 2018 – sounds, stresses and shenanigans – [das-jo-e]
The menagerie only becomes apparent at night, when she could convincingly be a dinosaur, an exotic creature, or a ravenous predator.
- January 28, 2018 – jump to the left, step to the right – [das-jo-e]
Four weeks in and we're beginning to learn how a baby fills a day.
- January 27, 2018 – saying hello – [das-jo-e]
Four weeks in, and your dad and I are rather taken with you. I was expecting the sleepless nights, projectile vomit, poonamis, but I wasn't expecting you to be so funny.
Kate Jones – 4 posts
- Alex Hudspith – November 20, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Andy and Claire Lemin – November 1, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Ann and Stuart Bond – December 28, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Ashley Fryer and Jack Fitzgerald – November 13, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Beverley and David Hole – December 7, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Cheryl and Matt Kearney – November 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Chloe Redfern and Steve Stone – November 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps-mixture] [tasty-rsvps]
- Chris Heald and Sophie Billington – December 29, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Claire Wright and Joe Giacomet – December 29, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Cynthia Hobson and Adrian Thwaite – December 5, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Dave Horley – December 9, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Emma Foster and James Verrill – November 21, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Frank and Sue Shotter – December 15, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Franny and Paul Wolpe – December 29, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Hannah Scully and Robin Kearney – November 29, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Hugh and Val Edwards – November 25, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Isabel and Peter Kay – December 13, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Janet Hallett – December 14, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Jenny Bond and John Terroni – December 28, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Jenny Morris and Dan Freiss – December 3, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Jenny and Rob Manning – November 8, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Jess and Graham Carter – December 17, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Jo Lucas and Keith Sammons – November 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Joanna and Matt Freeman – January 7, 2016 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Katie and Stefan Sieberer – December 28, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Leena and Bernard Cocksey – November 25, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Leighton and Sarah Eardley – December 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Lucie Mussett – January 5, 2016 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Marie and John Hallett – November 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Marilyn and John Heald – November 25, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Martin McNulty and Mark Papp – December 16, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps] [tasty-rsvps-mixture]
- Matt Glossop and Sarah Griffiths – December 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Matthew Cannings and Carly O'Dwyer – December 29, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Mike Young and Patrick Griffiths – December 1, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Paula and Matt Stinton – December 28, 2015 – Coca-Cola Rice with Raisins – [tasty-rsvps]
- Philippa Lea – December 29, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Robin and Ros Allen – November 1, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Rosie Hallett – November 21, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Sarah Chapman and Rob Dickinson – December 20, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Sarah Horley – December 21, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Sheila and Keith Ash – November 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Steve Gibson – October 31, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Toby and Rachel Kearney – December 13, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Tom Lambert and Naomi – November 4, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- William and Christine Randall – December 9, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]