Joe Kearney – 85 posts
- August 27, 2021 – Serre Chevalier to Auron – [cycling] [haute-route-2021] [haute-route-2021-stage-report]
A normal stage. A couple of big climbs, a couple of small ones and some fast riding on the flat.
- August 26, 2021 – Alpe d'Huez to Col du Granon – [cycling] [haute-route-2021] [haute-route-2021-stage-report]
A mixed day, with a good performance on my part but a heavy crash in the pack.
- August 25, 2021 – Alpe d'Huez – [cycling] [haute-route-2021] [haute-route-2021-stage-report]
Right foot pedal down, left foot pedal down.
- August 24, 2021 – Tignes to Sarenne – [cycling] [haute-route-2021] [haute-route-2021-stage-report]
A huge queen stage. High peaks, long descents, cold and rain.
- August 23, 2021 – Megève to Tignes – [cycling] [haute-route-2021] [haute-route-2021-stage-report]
Similar length and ascent to yesterday but in just three long climbs.
- August 22, 2021 – Megève to Megève – [cycling] [haute-route-2021] [haute-route-2021-stage-report]
A loop out from Megève, around the local peaks and back to the start. Three climbs in quick succession, with a break before the last and biggest climb of almost 1000m.
- [Series] August 21, 2021 – second visit to the Haute Route Alps – [cycling] [haute-route-2021] [highlight]
The longest and highest edition didn't put me off in 2017, so I'm back for the 10th anniversary of the Haute Route Alps.
- February 9, 2021 – introducing Lyra Annabel – [das-jo-e] [highlight]
We did another baby! We have a second girl who sleeps well (so far...), and a big sister who makes sure there's always a teddy nearby.
- February 12, 2019 – automatic checks with supervision – [software] [highlight]
SoundCloud Premier Distribution allows creators to distribute their music from SoundCloud to other streaming platforms and stores. For many of our users, this will be their first experience with the strict requirements of the music industry supply chain on metadata and media. Here we’ll look at how a system of automatic and manual validations allows users to get fast feedback as they prepare a release.
- February 2, 2018 – peripatetic, poetic and chic – [das-jo-e]
She had a day of being more like a stereotypical howler, wide mouthed and with tonsils wobbling, as she unleashed some top-tier screams. She's still under 4kg, but that must be mostly vocal cords – a Chorus Line singer in the making.
- January 8, 2018 – results are in – [das-jo-e]
My little brother won, the hive mind averaged out to an exceptionally good score, and I got to play with some inconsequential data while Eleanor had a nap. But first, poo.
- January 3, 2018 – introducing Eleanor Margot – [das-jo-e] [highlight]
We did a baby! Giving birth looks really hard, and my wife is a hero. The first week of Ellie's life has been a whirlwind of hospital visits, poo, sleep deprivation, and becoming besotted with a new tiny human.
- December 20, 2017 – preliminary results – [das-jo-e]
What better way to pass the time while waiting for a baby to be born than to engage in a spot of descriptive statistics on an unnecessarily complicated survey of predictions on the baby!
- December 1, 2017 – basic definitions – [software]
Google's 2015 paper on the Dataflow model describes general solutions to general data pipeline processing problems. The terms they use have been helpful to me in understanding patterns in these problems.
- October 31, 2017 – time and babies – [das-jo-e] [highlight]
We're having a baby! We have no idea what will happen, and don't understand what will take up so much time!
- September 12, 2017 – stage racing is a whole new thing – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-closing-thoughts-post] [highlight]
An incredible and joyful (and exhausting) week in beautiful places. What an experience.
- August 27, 2017 – Morzine to Geneva – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
One last push, a single time section of 100km to get through. I caught and passed plenty, and kept my top 100 GC placing – I finished the Haute Route Alps!
- August 26, 2017 – Megève to Morzine – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
Yesterday's ride really took its toll, but once the timing started today the legs woke up again, and felt fresh and strong for the last day of the High Alps.
- August 25, 2017 – Alpe d'Huez to Megève – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
The queen stage of the event, long and high, and on a really hot day. The first half went well; the second half I pushed too hard, paid for that on the last climb and in recovery that evening.
- August 24, 2017 – Alpe d'Huez ITT – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
The classic mountain time trial. I pushed a little harder than planned, maintained overall position, and spent the afternoon eating.
- August 23, 2017 – Serre Chevalier to Alpe d'Huez – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
The most beautiful col that I've climbed, another good day pacing, and a finish to take me into the top 100 overall!
- August 22, 2017 – Pra Loup to Col du Granon – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
A good day of following a pacing strategy, staying slower than felt necessary and ending up being faster than the competition
- August 21, 2017 – Nice to Pra Loup – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-stage-report]
Starting hard with the length of the Marmotte and two-thirds of the ascent, and climbing Ascros, Cayolle and Pra Loup. Plus: surprise video appearance!
- August 18, 2017 – the countdown is nearly over – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-pre-event]
Flying with a bike is always a slightly trying affair, all the more so when I'm trying to fill the bag to the brim with kit, food and a big, heavy lock!
- August 13, 2017 – final prep – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-pre-event]
Training done, bike cleaned, punctures repaired and the start is suddenly very close.
- August 4, 2017 – the full detail – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-pre-event]
The basic route was published months ago, but now we can see the detail, including how we're doing three ascents of Alpe d'Huez
- July 4, 2017 – eight Golden hours of pain – [cycling] [haute-route] [haute-route-pre-event] [highlight]
On my third attempt at this beautiful but brutal course of 174km and 5500m of ascent I finished with a Brevet d'Or, the Gold Classification
- June 20, 2017 – a better model for data ownership – [software] [highlight]
We have a good solution for ownership of services in a microservices architecture. We can learn from this to define ownership of datasets in a way that reduces the total cost of maintenance and integration across teams.
- June 18, 2017 – 180km of town and country – [cycling] [haute-route-pre-event]
Fast bunch riding and avoiding crashes in the 180km edition of the 2017 Berlin Velothon
- [Series] June 14, 2017 – seven days cycling up mountains – [cycling] [haute-route] [highlight]
I'm riding the Haute Route Alps 2017, from Nice to Geneva through the mountains. This describes what it is and how much it's going to hurt.
- February 17, 2017 – limits of verifiability – [software]
A blockchain allows independent parties to make verifiable statements. This works with bitcoin, whose value comes from the system itself, but fails in applications where the value is external.
- January 6, 2017 – an old friend – [software]
Two-phase commit is a long-established means of keeping two resources strongly synchronised. These days it's not so sexy, but it's an important piece of heritage of distributed computing.
- December 30, 2016 – storing nested data in columns – [software] [highlight]
Record shredding allows nested data structures to be considered in a sort-of-tabular way, and stored in a columnar data store. This post describes the intuition behind how this can be done preserving message structure, from Dremel and Parquet.
- December 7, 2016 – so many things to go wrong – [software] [highlight]
We like our code to be "robust". This post looks at different failure modes against which a system needs to be protected
- October 15, 2016 – in praise of writing down design choices – [software] [highlight]
Being explicit about costs and implications when making choices makes future decisions easier when things change. A collaborative document can be a great implementation of this.
- February 24, 2016 – benchmarking and compilation in perspective – [software] [just-in-time]
The compiler is sneaky, but there's order behind the magic of the JVM. This is all fascinating, but it's probably not the bottleneck in your application.
- February 24, 2016 – compilation at runtime – [software] [just-in-time]
How you can see the assembler code that the JIT compiler generates to be run on the actual CPU, explored by way of some examples of benchmarking.
- February 24, 2016 – compilation at compile-time – [software] [just-in-time]
What is bytecode and how does it work? What does Scala code look like when compiled to bytecode?
- February 24, 2016 – introduction to JVM compilation – [software] [just-in-time]
An introduction to what we mean by compilation and why it has multiple stages. A brief comparison between how Scala and Java compile similar structures for use in the JVM.
- [Series] February 24, 2016 – introduction to JVM compilation – [software] [just-in-time] [highlight]
An introduction to compilation for the JVM, bytecode and JIT compilation, and benchmarking with JMH. It accompanies a talk I gave to the Berlin-Brandenburg Scala User Group.
- December 14, 2015 – functional programming with state – [software]
Learning about what the State monad represents and how to use and understand it
- December 6, 2015 – writing blogs is admin, too – [das-jo-e]
Getting started in Germany, working out the language, the paperwork, and planning a wedding remotely.
- [How To] December 3, 2015 – implement sequence on your own types – [howto] [software] [highlight]
How to add Applicative and Traverse instances for your own types, use sequence, sequenceU and Unapply
- April 12, 2015 – no-code intro – [software] [highlight]
Deriving how non-blocking I/O must work, from first principles
- April 20, 2014 – a brief introduction to generated tests – [software] [highlight]
Step-by-step guide to using the Guava Testlib library for test case generation
- May 13, 2013 – my approach to interviewing – [interviews] [software]
A description of my interview approach while at GSA – what I was looking for what I expected from candidates
Joanna Kearney – 37 posts
- March 12, 2021 – laughing at the little things – [das-jo-e] [highlight]
- February 10, 2021 – one nappy change, five nappies – [das-jo-e] [highlight]
The dream feed nappy change challenge: keep baby asleep, while mum breastfeeds and dad simultaneously changes the nappy. Then place baby seamlessly and sleepily back in the cot. Easy?
- December 27, 2018 – 8kg of human, 240kg of bananas – [das-jo-e]
One incredible year of doing everything and nothing.
- March 25, 2018 – 💩 – [das-jo-e]
The poop kept coming. And coming. And coming. The dam didn't hold. There was poo on the wall.
- January 29, 2018 – sounds, stresses and shenanigans – [das-jo-e]
The menagerie only becomes apparent at night, when she could convincingly be a dinosaur, an exotic creature, or a ravenous predator.
- January 28, 2018 – jump to the left, step to the right – [das-jo-e]
Four weeks in and we're beginning to learn how a baby fills a day.
- January 27, 2018 – saying hello – [das-jo-e]
Four weeks in, and your dad and I are rather taken with you. I was expecting the sleepless nights, projectile vomit, poonamis, but I wasn't expecting you to be so funny.
Kate Jones – 4 posts
- Alex Hudspith – November 20, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Andy and Claire Lemin – November 1, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Ann and Stuart Bond – December 28, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Ashley Fryer and Jack Fitzgerald – November 13, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Beverley and David Hole – December 7, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Cheryl and Matt Kearney – November 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Chloe Redfern and Steve Stone – November 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps-mixture] [tasty-rsvps]
- Chris Heald and Sophie Billington – December 29, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Claire Wright and Joe Giacomet – December 29, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Cynthia Hobson and Adrian Thwaite – December 5, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Dave Horley – December 9, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Emma Foster and James Verrill – November 21, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Frank and Sue Shotter – December 15, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Franny and Paul Wolpe – December 29, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Hannah Scully and Robin Kearney – November 29, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Hugh and Val Edwards – November 25, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Isabel and Peter Kay – December 13, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Janet Hallett – December 14, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Jenny Bond and John Terroni – December 28, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Jenny Morris and Dan Freiss – December 3, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Jenny and Rob Manning – November 8, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Jess and Graham Carter – December 17, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Jo Lucas and Keith Sammons – November 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Joanna and Matt Freeman – January 7, 2016 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Katie and Stefan Sieberer – December 28, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Leena and Bernard Cocksey – November 25, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Leighton and Sarah Eardley – December 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Lucie Mussett – January 5, 2016 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Marie and John Hallett – November 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Marilyn and John Heald – November 25, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Martin McNulty and Mark Papp – December 16, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps] [tasty-rsvps-mixture]
- Matt Glossop and Sarah Griffiths – December 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Matthew Cannings and Carly O'Dwyer – December 29, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Mike Young and Patrick Griffiths – December 1, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Paula and Matt Stinton – December 28, 2015 – Coca-Cola Rice with Raisins – [tasty-rsvps]
- Philippa Lea – December 29, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Robin and Ros Allen – November 1, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Rosie Hallett – November 21, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Sarah Chapman and Rob Dickinson – December 20, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Sarah Horley – December 21, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Sheila and Keith Ash – November 30, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Steve Gibson – October 31, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Toby and Rachel Kearney – December 13, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- Tom Lambert and Naomi – November 4, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]
- William and Christine Randall – December 9, 2015 – [tasty-rsvps]